Sunday, February 14, 2010

This is my friend, Sunny. She's fast.

Thanks, Syd!  Let me explain.

Syd had a birthday this week.  And one of the many great things about birthdays, is it usually brings together all your local friends from different groups to one location at one time to do one thing... smile and laugh and occasionally imbibe (even if the only reason you imbibe is to remind yourself why you don't imbibe to that extent but once a year).  Syd's birthday was no exception, and since our connection to each other is triathlon and a mutual love of impromptu dance parties in the the oddest places, she had friends I never met.

Now, it is always interesting to hear how people describe you to others who may not know you.  I get the feeling sometimes that "She's tall..." is the first thing people use to describe me.  But, since we were sitting down, and I was there already, I was expecting something like "She's a triathlete" or "She's a scientist"  or "She actually likes broccolli".  But instead, I got "She's fast".  That could go so many ways.  And, as per my personality, I took it there of course.  (i.e. pretending I race indy cars and work as an exotic dancer, told in an ironic and slightly surreptitious tone).

But, fast.  I guess so.  When I race against other professional triathletes, when I train with professional runners, and ride with national champion cyclocross riders and pray not to get lapped.  I don't think about being fast.  I think about how awesome these other athletes are that they have dedicated so much more time than I have to the pursuit of our mutual craft.  To them, I hope I seem worthy and real, and not the dabbler that I often feel like.

So, Sunny, the dabbler.  This was really driven home for me earlier this week.  More specifically, I joined a spin class/yoga session that a friend instructs for the combined OSU cycling/triathlon teams.  Oregon weather had turned on the water works, and I blanched at the thought of what the weather would do to the mechanisms of my bike were I to ride in it.  Not to mention, how cold and wet I would get in this most health precarious time in my training.  Decision made, I tossed the sports bra, cycling shorts, and yoga pants into a bag and headed to the gym.  As I was riding in one place, surrounded by 20-other mostly 20-somethings, (and a few 30-somethings like me), looking in the mirrors looking at other people, I started looking at clothes.  My clothes, their clothes.  And also feeling the chamois in my shorts against the unfamiliar saddle.  And noticing the thread bare and balled inner thigh region of the material.  And looking at the snapped elasticity around the leg bands.  Egads.... my shorts are five years old.  They have a hole in them.  I only have three pairs of cycling shorts, and if I think about the math, I've put probably 200 rides in each of them.  And with the exception of two of my Brooks shorts, the same goes for my running shorts and sport bras.

I want to look fast, too.  So, the dabbler is going to go pro!  I ordered new (and matching) running clothes yesterday, two complete outfits (from Brooks Running, where else?)!  I've got a new kit from my cycling team on the way.  And I have plans to get a new pair of cycling shorts with chamois so nice it will be like riding on a pillow.  The only sport in which I excel at accessorizing... swimming.  Thanks to Dawn at Splish who always has to remind me to get a new, cool suit with the question "Don't you need a new suit?"

The lesson here?  You do your hardest working when working out and your clothes are working just as hard as you are.  And, they are sitting right next to one of the most important aspects of your body, your skin!  Take stock and don't be afraid to toss out and get new!

No comments:

Post a Comment