Friday, August 8, 2008

Moment of truth.


I hit my limit last night.  I've been going mach1, balls to the wall, overdrive, burning the match at both ends, copiously caffeinating, and pushing a hard gear.  And apparently over-metaphoring.

"How's that?" you say.  WELL, by working 5-10s, trying to get my house in order, keeping up with the tri training, and eeking out ever bit of awesomeness from the last of the summer.

So, taking it to the limit.  Last night was ladies night on the mountain bike, but only Water-woman and I showed up, and only two guys were there for the boys' Thursday night ride.  We decided to ride together, heading out toward Oak Creek, and thinking up which trails to ride along the way.  At the start of the fire road, we ran into a couple guys that the others knew (one of whom was distractingly cute, which may be why I didn't pay much attention to the trail plan when it was being discussed).

By now our daylight was fast disappearing, and we started up Uproute.  Out on the fire road, we kept climbing, and climbing, and climbing, before finally I asked "how much further?"  To which the answer seemed to always be "Eight minutes."  Big Liars.  An hour of climbing and we were near the top of McCullough Peak.  I could tell I was starting to bonk, I had forgotten chamois butter, and my nutrition over the week having been less than exemplary, was starting to take its toll.

The sun had already sunk below the hills and we decided to backtrack down the fire road and down the Southridge trail.  But, first we had to contend with the largest gravel chunks I have ever seen and more climbing.  It was mostly worth it to get on the single track, and I got to practice my root avoidance and hike-n-bike skills.  At the bottom, we climbed up Uproute again (more climbing) in order to descend down Extendo.  This trail is getting a little rutted with all the use, but the more I ride it, the better I get at picking a line, taking turns, and letting a little off the brake because I know what is coming.

We still had remnants of dusk at the bottom of Extendo, and so we took a side fire road up to Hocus Pocus (that's right next to Abra-cadabra, and Bippity-bobbity-boo... kidding).  More climbing!  I was devastated by now, bonking on all sides, and with a general dead feeling in all my limbs.  At one point, I just got off the bike and pushed it up.  At the trail entrance, Water-woman turned on her light for us (because it was pretty close to black in the trees), Boom-dude gave us some pointers on the trail and we descended into the darkness.  I have to admit, it was pretty cool and I am going to get a bike light today, but jeez, descending in the dark is a whole other animal, especially with my eyes cross-eyed from lack of energy.

I made it home eventually, had a huge dinner, and almost fell asleep on the floor. But I disappointed myself a little bit, I ignored one of personal rules.  Here is the rule:  When to say "no" and when to say "go"

When to say "no":
1.  When mental and physical stress overcome the potential awesomeness of an adventure (like last night).
2.  In an easy workout, don't let it turn into a hammer-fest.
3.  In a hard workout, when your pace starts to slip and you can feel that you are running on empty.
3.  When you're just not that in to it, being able to admit it to yourself.  Like reading a really bad book.  Don't keep reading just because you have to finish or someone else said it was good.  Trust your instincts, stop reading it, and find something better.
4.  When you are not happy.  It can be good to be a little selfish and make yourself happy first, not worrying what others think.  Chances are pretty good that they would be supportive and not the least bit bent out of shape.

When to say "go":
1.  When overcoming mental and physical stress will help push you to the next level athletically or intellectually.  I do this all the time on the track, at work, in relationships.
2. In an easy workout, sometimes if a run is a 11 on a 1-10 scale, it might be a good time kick 'er up a notch.
3.  In a hard workout, push through the pain, discomfort, hunger, whatever, and just let your mind go blank.  This happens most to me in the pool, and in races.  I just focus on the time clock, my form, 50 yds ahead and switch into autopilot.
4. When you are not happy.  Sometimes, I have to sacrifice a little.  It's like the moral to a Chinese proverb... how would you know you were happy, if you had never been sad.

So, I should have said "no" last night.  Thankfully, both saying "no" to adventure and ignoring my rule doesn't happen that often.

Aside:  Balls to the wall.  Definition: To go at full (unregulated) power.
Steam engines had mechanical regulators that consisted of a pair of hinged lever arms with a ball on the end of each arm, as the engine sped up the centrifugal force caused the arms to raise up closing a valve. If you adjust the regulator so that the arms go to horizontal (with the balls pointing to the wall) without closing the valve you are not limiting the speed of the engine.
This phrase only took on its current, slightly dirty meaning thanks to to teen-age boys, football, and road cyclists.  Let's hear it for the boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment