Thursday, August 21, 2008

Not in this life.

Sometimes a song captures so completely the mood of the moment, or a time in my life that I feel if someone were making a movie of my life, this song would most certainly be playing in the background and prominently featured on the soundtrack.  So for this week, thank you Natalie Merchant.

Oh, lately I've been walking all alone,

Okay, maybe running and biking.

Through the wind and through the rai-ai-ain.

I am in Oregon after all.

Been walking through the streets and finding sweet relief.

Coffee, sweetened with stevia.

And knowing that it won't be long.

I don't know that it won't be long, but I like to hope that something will be happening soon.  Natalie...sometimes I just don't know.  Is that okay?

Lately, it's occurred to me.

I'm tall.  I've hit my head on cabinets, trees limbs, and one well placed spider web all this week.  And to top it off, people in my lab keep asking me to get things off of shelves for them.

That I've had enough of that.

It's not that I don't like reaching for things off shelves, it's just that my arms are getting tired.  No really, the things I've really had enough of: dust, the phrase "reality TV", moldy bread, poison oak, stalkers, George W. Bush,  big box stores, the obesity problem, and hypocrisy.

And lately I've been satisfied by simple things

Like: blueberries, the phrase "It's all good", Facebook, running, Micheal Phelps' abs, anything on two wheels, voting for Barack Obama, friends, bubble wrap, the green movement (it really is simple), and

Like breathing and breathing out.

It comes naturally to me.

Never again not in this life will I be taken twice.

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice shame on me.  That's the line in Tennessee and everywhere else in the world except Texas.  There apparently you can't get fooled again.   So for me, some lessons apparently have to be learned over and over again (like the fact that I am tall and my head is vulnerable to objects below 6'0").  Shame on me, because I've fooled myself twice, but three times a charm?  Or is it three strikes and your out?

(skipping to the end) Starting out from here today.

Today is Thursday.  I like Thursdays.  Most of the week is behind you.  The week-end is ahead and I am going to see my best friends and my new friends race Ironman Canada.  And....

Swear I'm going to change my ways!

It's all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment