Sunday, January 4, 2009

Sunday is my fun day

My last day in St. Louis... it is colder than a witch's titty (okay maybe not that cold). My mom and now my Dad in turn have come down with the flu. We are talking in bed-shades drawn- toilet seat up-flu. I'm still good, and because they staggered out their infirmities quite nicely, I got to spend all day Friday and Saturday with my Dad and all day today with my Mom. Don't get me wrong, it is a shame that I didn't get to spend all my time with them. But the funny thing about getting sick, is that it always seems to happen right when you let your gaurd down... and I think that my parents may have been working so hard up to the time I showed up that when they took a moment to relax... that's when it happened.

But here's the rundown:

Friday my Dad and I went downtown to the SLU basketball game. The Billikins have a sweet new stadium and watching the game accompanied by the spirited jazz of the Alumni Pep Band was a good time. The Bills didn't play very well in the first half, going to the locker room with a 15 point deficit. Coming out of the locker room, they crawled their way back to parity with NC A&T, holding the other team to two points in the last 5-minutes of the half. The crowd really got behind their team, and with a minute to go, an SLU win was assured.

Saturday Dad and I went shopping. Or more like he chilled in the comfy chairs outside of Macy's while I tried on every pair of bootcut size 8-tall jeans in the entire mall (and some 6s). Can you believe that "tall" wasn't tall enough? It's not like I have disporportionately long legs or anything. I find it hard to believe that there aren't more woman out there with 35 inch in-seams. Or maybe there are and they bought all the jeans in the mall! After my disillusionment, the only thing left to do was see a movie at the art house theater in Plaza Frontenac. We saw The Reader, beautiful, and even for my romance-novel-tempered-brain, risque!

Today, it was Mom's turn. She was a little jealous that we saw a movie without her, so today she and I went to see Seven Pounds. But first, since we were in a different mall, I shopped around to see if all the size 8-tall women had bought out Chesterfield Mall, as well. I thought I was doomed to failure until I came across a pair of size 29 (as if women's sizing isn't hard enough, stores switch between non-standard 6,8,10 or 5,7,9 sizing, to waist size, even if you are buying low-rise jeans that come nowhere near your waist) -"extra-long" bootcut, nothing fancy on the pockets, no embarrasing fade pattern designed to draw attention to butt and thighs, perfect. I bought them without hestitation (and only slight sticker-shock) and hurried off to have Will Smith bring tears to my eyes for the second time in two years (tell me you saw Pursuit of Happyness).

Tomorrow.... I'm on the plane!

No comments:

Post a Comment