Friday, September 19, 2008

Do it yourself.

Recognizing the fact that at some point in the last few months, I had gotten off of a happy path, spiraled into a bottomless pit of indecision, and felt myself swinging in a discontented limbo of my own making... I decided to shake things up, take matters into my own hands, let my hair down, and do it myself (whatever it was)....
Painting from an art exhibit at Powell's Books

I was semi-inspired by close friends to live the cliche (after all, that is why they are called cliches... it happens so much that there is a phrase to describe it).

And so, I moved, cut 9 and 1/2 inches off my hair, started doing track workouts, finally bought the AppleCare for my iPhone, switched coffee shops (Brew Station I love you for brewing Stumptown and your homemade scones!), and got an oil change (for my car.. mind out of the gutter).  I managed to stop short of inventing a new high school.

I also considered myself something of a Suzy-homemaker: I decided to re-upholster my own grandma chair.  This is a chair that has followed me through 7 homes, to comfortable to get rid of, to ugly to display prominently.  But in my smallish apartment, I planned to display it front and center with a new -ahem- "chair-lift" (think face-lift).  I've spent hours in the fabric store looking at material, online browsing instructions, at home with tape-measure trying to figure out how to best cover and sew-around the weird shaped arms.  In this do-it-yourself age of Home depot, the internet, and the independent woman who does it all, I never though twice that it would just be easier to go buy another a chair or just pay to have someone reupholster it.  What's the fun in that?

I have a history of do-it-yourself projects with mixed results:
1) Repainting my road bike:  a year of "Wouldn't it be cool...", three months of planning, breaking up with my boyfriend (had some time on my hands), $100 of supplies, two months of coming home at lunch to work on it, an garage covered in orange particulates, and I now own a bike painted like Tigger.
2)Sewing an evening gown:  pressure to look fantastic at a New York reception for my friend Molly's marriage (all internal pressure), too tall to look good in most dresses (they cut me off at the mid-thigh or the ankles and the waist is forever too high!), and a desire for something in plum silk.  I still have a half-sewn plum silk evening dress and as a substitute: a beautiful last-minute-impulse-buy dress from my favorite clothing store, the White House Black Market.
3) Changing my car battery... 'nuff said.  What could possibly go wrong?  I am now the proud owner of a new battery connector-thingy.

So, I'll have to let you know how this one turns out.  I've finally decided on the material... a reddish-mauve corduroy, and I've pulled out the sewing machine.  When I start this, who knows... I've got my first cyclocross races this week-end in Hood River, OR, the Double Cross. And I have-to, have-to, have-to find a kitchen table for my new apartment.

Parting shot... what do you think of the new do?

2 comments:

  1. i vote that the hairdo is great.

    hair cuts are great too - i also cut 10 inches off mine, but it was a couple months ago, and it's gradually crept up to an even shorter length. for a while i was doing double ponytails for training and racing but now it's too short for that. what kind of do are you going to rock on the bike?? or maybe your hair doesn't get the "wings" effect thru your helmet when you ride.

    either way, it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA Courtenay! I always have gotten the "wings"... this week-end I displayed my inner-pirate with a red bandana under my helmet, but I think I am going to try something with barrettes or bobby pins. Haven't decided yet. I am still coming to terms with helmet hair from my morning commute (may have to keep a curling iron in the office).

    ReplyDelete