Thursday, October 23, 2008

Let's try this: Jalapeño cheddar waffles

I was watching Iron Chef on Monday night.  The secret ingredient was cheese... any and all kinds of cheese.  I was fascinated... not only because one of my favorite foods is cheese (Gouda, Brie, Extra Sharp White Cheddar, you know, the good stuff), but because the Greek-American Southerner, Cat Cora, was cooking, and I love her take-charge, I'm-a-rockstar 'tude.

Cheese is also a great ingredient (as opposed to fennel or shellfish (like last night)) because most people like it and anyone can work up the nerve to cook with it (I am still waiting for the peanut butter episode).

That said... Cat Cora did something so cool, she took a traditional Southern Soul dish (chicken and waffles) and added some awesome.  She put jalapeños, garlic, and two kinds of cheese into the waffle mix.

I couldn't wait to try it.  I mixed up a ten grain waffle mix that I picked up at Winco Foods (the best bulk foods section I have ever seen... and open 24 hours).  I used the food processor to mince jalapeños, tomatillos, red peppers, and some yellow onion.  Combine these with some shredded colby and monterey jack cheese.  Three minutes in a round waffle maker (round is better than square) and a little more melted cheese and chopped yellow tomatoes on top, with green onions for a little added color, and... Voila!

It was so good.  I love breakfast for dinner, but this added a whole new twist.  

(In case you are wondering... those are Denver scrambled eggs on the side)

2 comments:

  1. that's too funny cause rain had to watch a cooking show and do a recipe from it and that is the one she watched! i think her favourite was somekind of cheddar biscuits....she will be so happy to hear that you made the waffles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a crazy coincidence! How is Rain? Tell her I have a great recipe for jalapeno cheddar cornbread if she wants that.

    ReplyDelete