Friday, October 31, 2008

Race Report: Halloween Cross

Made my way up to Astoria, OR over the week-end.  The farthest, NorthWest corner of Oregon and also the filming location of The Goonies, Kindergarten Cop, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III, Short Circuit, Free Willy I and II (but not III), and Halloween Cross 2008.  What's that you say?

One of the biggest cycling events that I have ever seen.... two days of cyclocross, both legit, one with costume all but required.

Take One:  Cross Crusade #4 Astoria
The Womens As were lined up at the start by cumulative points in the Cross Crusade series.  Having only raced one other in the series (crashing twice and struggling across the line), I didn't think I had any series points.  But my 12th place finish at #2 was enough to get me into the third row (of four) for the start.  I jumped in behind Bridget Stoick and Tina Brubaker, two people I knew to be really fast starters.
At the horn, 32 fast women jumped off the line for a 50 yd sprint straight into an S curve on wood chips and a muddy downhill.  I got edged out on the far right just as the woman in front of me nipped a cone and sent it into my drivetrain. I came unclipped on the right and ferociously wobbled, almost losing the handlebar, before righting myself and gaining control of the bike.  I was amazed that I kept it rubber side down.  As I calmed my racing heart I heard "That-was-an-awesome-save" from behind me... from the woman who would have eaten it along with me had I gone down.
And after all that, this course had more in store: a barrier in the middle of an uphill, five horse stalls with muddy 180° turns, a knee grinding uphill, and a bumpfest descent, not to mention the six-pack of barriers.  You could say I had a lot of fun... if your definition of "fun" is painful (mine sometimes is).  But this "fun" included every alcohol percentage point of the martini that Heather the Enabler had bought me at Downward Dog the night before, after I had already had two beers.  She owes me big.
But, the big news is... I finished 5th!  That's one point for the triathlete.

Take Two: Cross Crusade #5 Halloween
A word to the wise, if you race without a costume, you will be taunted mercilessly, hit with frisbees, and run off the course by another racer (I saw it, but that guy might have deserved it even if he was wearing a costume).  Not to worry... Heather and I looked awesome.  Think 80's aerobics instructors.  We were trying to pull off Jane Fonda, even doing a little "and-1-and-2-and-3.... feel the burn!" prior to the race.
The race was a blast, with a similar course to the day before.  The one addition was a mandatory jump that I nailed every time, even getting some major air on the last lap.  But the best part was all the costumery.  And every one should know that I love racing in costume.  It was a little hard for me to get pictures of myself on the bike, but I did borrow some from SoSoVelo, including some incredibly ironic pics:

Feeling the burn!

Sarah Palin v. The Wicked Witch of the West... tough call.

The Devil is after Jesus.

1 comment:

  1. Lucky you! I love Astoria! I made a special trip there in college just because Goonies is my favorite movie (Elf is a very close second) and as you mention, it was filmed there! What better way to experience your new state than to "race across it"!!!

    ReplyDelete