Wednesday, October 8, 2008

What do you say when...

It has been a hard week for my friends.  People close to me have lost loved ones, people I knew as friends as well.  Two young guys in the absolute prime of life, victims of separate tragic accidents that neither could have foreseen or prevented.

Both were in the middle of doing something they love, the same kind of adventurous sports that I do all the time.  And in one case, riding a section of road that I had ridden less than 24 hours before.

And so, for the last few days I have been wondering what to say, what to do, how to react.  I have been going through the motions of my life with just a little less oomph, a little less of a bounce in my step, and two less friends in my life.

So, in wondering how I could find a little closure and a little meaning, I am writing this now in memory of my friend Ed.  Also because I could not make it to his memorial this afternoon (I was at a scientific meeting in California and no flight could get me home in time).

I've only known Ed for a short time.  Our most memorable time together was spent driving 11 hours each way to the Wildflower Triathlon earlier this year.  Along the way we shared stories, tri-geek talk, his excitement over his new tri store (Northwest Multisport), how he met his wife, how I ended up in Corvallis, and the largest bowl of ice cream known to man from the scoop shop in Rice Hill, OR.  He took a great deal of pleasure in the day-to-day living.  He loved everything about triathlon, especially the cycling.  He was an Ironman.  He was a Husband.  He was a Dad.  And, so I will remember Ed as someone who loved to talk to people about just about anything and one of the first people who befriended me in Corvallis.

If you would like to help out Ed's family, an account has been set up for his wife and four kids at Dream Dinners.  Dream Dinners is a place where you can hand pick evening meals that can be taken home and eaten at a later date. This is a fast and convenient way to get good evening meals.  You can call Dream Dinners at 541-752-3040 and make a monetary contribution to Kay Bomber's account.

Also, I mentioned I was short two friends. Matt Chesaux was someone I knew as an extraordinary friend to good friends of mine.  He inspired many to seek out the epic adventure in life and will be hugely missed. To continue his spirit, you can make donations to The Matthieu Chesaux Memorial Fund at any Wells Fargo Branch.

I don't know if these were the right words to say.  But, I wanted to say something.  No need to say anything back.

No comments:

Post a Comment