Friday, December 19, 2008

The A race

I couldn't take it anymore. The week off is officially over. I woke up on Friday morning (after accidently sleeping in... that was some good sleep) to a gloriously unusual sunny morning that boasted a fresh blanket of white stuff (snow). The roads beckoned. And so it was without hesitation that I ended my off-week, threw on some tights, secured my YakTrax over my brand spanking new Brooks Adrenaline GTSes, and literally bounded out the door.

The bounding lasted for about 20 seconds before I realized that bounding is hard work, and I settled into a regular running pace. Now, don't worry. I kept it easy. After all, it has been five days since my last run (also in the snow... are we sure I live in Corvallis???). Even with only that short bit, I doubt I have run 26.2 miles total since the Silverman Triathlon Marathon Chapter in my running season.

This particular run was only 30 minutes long (excuse: I had to get to work, and I ran out of road... tragedies). But, it felt really, really good. After I added a little coffee to my body and ten minutes of yoga, I felt like I had taken happy pills.

Proof that the sun shines in the winter in Corvallis:

I call this image "Pink flamer". It has so many fun meanings... but the tree looks like it is consumed by pink fire when backlit by the sunshine.

The Memorial Center on campus bathed in snowshine.

Today's run officially kicks off (drumroll, please) Sunny's Super Spectacular Week of Pre-New Year New Year's Resolution Training (SSSW of PNYNYRT). I'm getting a head start on it since last year I failed so miserably at my New Year's Resolution (Do one pull-up)... don't laugh. This has been my NYR for the past three years. If it ain't happened yet, it ain't happenin' at all. Why one? If you are ever hanging off a cliff, or a tall building, you only have to pull your body weight up once in order not to die. Since this scenario is extremely unlikely, it's time for a new NYR.

What is this year's NYR going to be? To actually train and peak for an A race. The jury is still out on which race will actually be the A race (or races...), but candidates include Wildflower Half-Iron distance (May 3), Lake Stevens 70.3 (Aug. 16), and, if I am lucky to be asked again, the Silverman Triathlon Marathon leg (it and I have a score to settle that I think a little preparation might fix). Other potential races include Escape from Alcatraz (my one reason for becoming a pro triathlete, that and getting to put my name on the butt of my Splish suits) or Boise 70.3 (physically impossible for me to do both as they are on the same week-end of June 13-14). The advantage of doing Boise 70.3 here would be that I would have two shots this season to qualify for the World 70.3 Championships again (I qualified in 2006 but had to pull out because of bad ankle sprain six weeks out). The disadvantage to this is that I might jump into Pacific Crest again (had so much fun there last year) and that would make four, maybe five if you count Worlds, 70.3 races on the year. Other deciding factors: Sharks, water temperatures, and potential for awesomeness (I'm good at sand ladders).

Long and short, or long or short of it: I can't decide.

Do me a favor: vote for which race you think should be my A race (the poll will be up until 12:01am January 1, 2009)... or add a suggestion in the comment section. And just to preempt Kerri, A & E, and Amanda, notice that Ironman Canada is not on the list.

Merry Christmas Cookies!

4 comments:

  1. Well I voted. I voted other because I'd love to see you mountain running but I am selfish like that.

    That said, I love stories where people have a score to settle so I like the marathon leg thing too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Escape get my vote (IM CA would but you said no)
    -Eric

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still say IM Canada you crazy girl!

    ReplyDelete