Wednesday, April 8, 2009

What do you do when....

your plantar fascia is so twisted in knots that you can't run or race?

1) You ride.  Or if you happen to be in the Pacific Northwest during April showers... you ride the trainer while watching Paris-Nice.  Then on the gorgeous week-end, you ride two days in a row.  Including a pre-ride of the Kings Valley course for next week-end's race.  I have a bone to pick with this race.  Last year I was hanging with the lead pack in the final lap when I made the biggest rookie move, dropping my chain on an uphill while trying to shift.  I was forced to time-trial my way to the finish line... Nevermore!

I think Heather is winning our trainer race.  I was pulling a bit of a Contador.

2) You volunteer.  I had been planning to run a half marathon in Portland with members of the HOTV runner's club.  But, the no-running-especially-on-concrete problem put the kabash on my plans.  Instead, I threw myself into volunteering at the Beaver Freezer.  I set-up the door-prize give-aways that all of the race sponsors had generously donated to.  Someone gave me a megaphone (oh baby), and I made periodic announcements in the transition area.  I also got to do the awards ceremony... announcing all the winners, winning times, thank-yous. It was one of my most favorite volunteer jobs ever!


3) You torture yourself.  Besides going through two rounds of foot/calf only massage from Meghan (one more on the way), I've rigorously attacked that stubborn ligament with Aleve, ice, stretching (check out my homemade slant board made from $2.50 worth of materials from Home Depot), and self-massage (both the highly marketed... The Stick... and the not... two golf balls taped together to roll my foot over).  You know I actually met The Stick Guy at Pacific Crest last year... he's very good with his stick ;-).

And it's working.  I'll be running by this week-end, and I got in a few good karma points for the volunteering!

1 comment:

  1. Ooooh. Golf balls. Now that sounds like some good torture.

    Way to make lemonade while being pitched lemons. Good on ya.

    ReplyDelete