Monday, June 8, 2009

Follow up: Duck Bill Thrill

I told you about limping to the finish line at the Duck Bill Thrill, not following one of my personal rules (stop when it REALLY hurts), bending to my pride, etc. Since that race, I have run very little. I have iced my plantar fascia (PF) at least three-five times a day. I stretch whenever I think of it (and that is a lot because it hurts all the time). I've stood on my slant board for hours. I've done self-massage, massage therapy, sports training, aqua-jogging, PT, and the podiatrist (gasp!). Long and short: It's getting better, thanks to a cortisone shot (my first one ever, ouch!), massage from Meghan, and a new PT torture device called ASTYM.  But, I've dedicated about two hours a day to the act of healing. So the act of blogging wasn't happening (obviously). Be thankful. All I would have talked about was my PF, every gory detail.

But now..... it is getting better! And my spirits are partially restored. I might even get to run at running camp in two weeks (why would you want to run at running camp —ahem?). Running camp, you say?!

Aside: Let me explain. Having run seven (and the most recent) of my 15 years of running in Brooks Adrenaline GTS (all the way back to #5), I applied for and was accepted into their Inspire Daily Program, a collection of athletes that span the running spectrum. A group of people dedicated to spreading the word about the awesomeness of running every day (hope I live up to). Anywho, as a member of the ID program, I entered a lottery to go to the inaugural Brooks Inspire Daily (ID) running camp at Crystal Mountain near the base of Mt. Ranier at the beginning of March (pre-PF). I didn’t get in at the time. But, sometime in between successfully running a half-marathon at Wildflower with minimal pain and the reinjuring at Duck Bill Thrill, there was a second round of lottery-ing in which I got accepted. I think I ran(!) to the mailbox within half an hour with my check — how excited I was.

Well, I’ve been stressing every since the race three weeks ago... but at least now I know I will be able to run a little and hike a lot if needs be (fine by me, as long as I am moving).

With all that sitting and icing time, I had a few minutes to put together a movie of video clips from the Duck Bill Thrill (Check out my crazy limp at the end) that were taken with my new iFlip (and then cut and pasted in iMovie).

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment