Sunday, June 14, 2009

Bright Ideas with a Latin theme.

It's time for the latest edition of "Wouldn't it be cool..."

I'm going to focus on friends (and a friend of a friend, a foaf if you will) who turned a WITBC into a reality that benefits others (and not just increase the level of coolness in the world... though they certainly do that).

The first shout-out goes to my beloved friends from Boulder, Tate and Paola. Paola is a professional Latin dancer and Tate is a sometimes business/marketing/PR guy with a penchant for professional triathlon (a slashy!). They decided not too long ago to produce a latin dance showcase called En Fuego Evolution. It's an extraordinary array of latin dance performed by talented performers living in and around Boulder. It'll be the best $20 you spend this year. To read more about what Tate and Paola are up to, check out the creators page.

My second shout-out goes to a friend of my friend Molly. I always knew that she surrounded herself with smart, creative and incredibly motivated people (feeling very lucky that she considers me a friend..... Hah!). But she is currently traveling through Latin America with the Central America Foundation (CAF). Her friend, Kelley started the charity to bring educational opportunity and medical resources to Central American kids. Check out the CAF projects page to see how you might help... some of the things they are looking for as simple as stethoscopes. And, if you are feeling a little wonderlust and want to try an alternative vacation, apply to volunteer for one of their trips!

And finally...The "Woudn't it Be Cool..." Award for embracing this motto for your whole life, goes to my friend Lauren in the Peace Corps. Not only for being un-PC in the PC, but also for riding the entire Rim Rock Trail in Moab, UT, competing in Ironman Triathlon, and previously teaching elementary school (no small task). Anywho, for this chica, it wasn't enough to just dedicate three years of her life to charity and poverty... she had to kick it up a notch. She is involved with the Friends of Ecuador charity that is run by Peace Corps volunteers. Their big project right now is GADraffle... at $1.50 a ticket... it is used to send girls to high school. Seems weird to have to pay for something that we just assume happens for us!

So, there you are. I've just had so many people telling me lately about the things they have gotten themselves into that I wanted to share the awesomeness. These folks give new meaning to the term "slashies".

2 comments:

  1. AnonymousJune 17, 2009

    Thanks Sunny for the kind words!! Miss you girl! And yes... we are trying to raise money to send girls to HS. Believe it or not, going to and finishing HS is not small task for a large majority of the population here in Ecuador!

    Also, I have a BLOG and if you want access let Sunny know and she can email me your address and I can invite you! I wanted to more freely express my PC experiences so I restricted access.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousJune 17, 2009

    One more thing.. $1.50 can go a long way in Ecuador!

    ReplyDelete