Friday, June 19, 2009

Brooks Running Camp Day 1.5

Yeah! I finally met up with the rest of the folks...

Before I go any further, let me explain "running" camp.

1) This isn't your masochistic, run-the-whole-day kind of camp like some folks went to when they were little with football, soccer, baseball, etc. camp. When I told people what I where I was heading this week-end, I could see the wheels turning in their head thinking this, and I had to repress my playful sarcastic tendencies by suggesting that I was going to run about 150 miles all-told in 4 days (For the ultra runners out there — I know you are thinking.. what's wrong with that?).

2) The other response I got was... "don't you know how to run already?" Well sure... everybody knows how to run. But not everybody nows how to maximize the potential of running in their life through nutrition, community, fitness, racing... that elusive difference between "running" and "training". Also, running can be a pretty solitary sport if you want it to. Getting together with other runners, we can talk about important topics such as "why do women always role their shorts over?" and learn interesting facts such as phone book pages are useful for stuffing them in your shoes to dry them after a run in the rain (that one was mine).

So, running camp.

Brooks decided to invite IDers up to the foot of Mt. Ranier for a 4-day camp filled with FUN, learning, community, and just plain awesome scenery. I applied almost immediately, but didn't make it in. Then, eight weeks ago I got an email from ID-Steve saying that they had some people pull out and I was next on the list (yippee!). We are getting to meet the employees, learn about upcoming products like the Green Silence, meet famous people like Scott Jurek (!!! I have a picture with him, but sadly it is on my camera for which I did not bring the connection cord), talk with product designers, engage with the media and PR people, and just be runners!

So the best part so far... realizing that I am involved with a running shoe company that embraces everything I love about being a run... Having fun and being happy. Scott Jurek gave a great talk with his 10-steps to being a better runner. I forgot to take notes, but some of them included: Get specific (have a training/racing/living goal), seek balance (don't let running run your life... instead integrate!), seek satisfaction (sometimes it is hard, the goal needs to be worth the process), and (the last one, and therefore most important) keep it fun!

Well, off to breakfast... and hopefully a run later on the Pacific Crest Trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment