Saturday, July 4, 2009

How many friends can you see in 72 hours?

A lot.

This is always the name of the game when I head back to Boulder. How to coordinate, combine, balance, and at the same time have fun and relax. How is this accomplished? Well, first off, I admit to myself that it is impossible to see everyone I want, do everything I want, and not move back permanently. Then, I just let the pieces fall into place. The other complicating thing... all of my friends are highly motivated, busy people with already jam-packed lives. Would'nt have it any other way.

So, this is how it went: Fly in... immediately go to bridal shower for wedding that is the main focus of trip. Following excellent lunch, Andrea and I squeeze in a pedicure and a nap (actually done simultaneously... whoops). Then we throw on our best slutty clothes and round-up the troops for the bachelorette party downtown. I even called in male reinforcements in the form of good friend Matt H. and Dave to help the bride perform some of her more risque tasks (body shots!). Following night of debauchery and libations, I introduce Andrea to the finer points of breakfast dining in Boulder by taking her to Marie's on Broadway, followed with some Vic's espresso (ohh-la-la).

The barista at Vic's showing off some mad skills with my latte.

Next it is off to meet Seth at the grocery store for some fine BBQing purchases for a meeting of the usual suspects later in the afternoon. At the BBQ, former roomies, training partners, and a suprise appearance by cycling wonderfriend Tom Zirbel, in town between pro-cycling gigs. Almost everyone from the old crew was there except for the bike Crash Test Dummy, Tate (very sad story!). Understandable, considering after three weeks, he still has some bleeding road rash and is wearing the latest fashion in back braces.

Next morning, I was the perfect picture of big girl on a little bike, crossing Balsam, when who hailed me from the his car, but Tate himself. Good reunion in the Ideal Market parking lot, could not have planned that friend run-in if I tried. I was on my way to meet Liz Fleigs for a swim at Rally Sport. Definitely got a few turned heads, and OMG-I-can't-believe-you-are-in-town looks. Bonus, Beth-y screamed from across the swimming pool. We had a wet reunion followed by abject disappointment when I told her I wouldn't be at CB this year (Scott G. the check is in the mail for next year).

Later that afternoon was the wedding of my former PI and the woman who mooned over him for over a year before I sat him down on iChat and suggested he ask her out. Obviously it worked out well. But, don't go asking me to fix you up with anybody. I just got lucky this time. There was a great best man toast from Rob's BF and amateur comedian, Jeff, followed by some strange dancing to all the classics. Finally, ending in Sunny's third night of drinking, but not quite getting drunk in a row. I'm done.

Tuesday was a chill morning with Amber and Eric in the swimming pool. We went to AM masters at Flatirons with Wolfgang. I was pooped and started to get out of the pool after an hour. Wolfy yelled at me to "put my swim cap back on"... and I did it... you don't disobey a stern German! Afterward, we went to breakfast at the Eastside Walnut Cafe... blueberry cornbread. 'Nuff said. Time was flying by as Amber had to sprint off to work. Verny came to hang out with us on Pearl St. before heading to her job at the Daily Camera (if you check out the paper link now you can read about the 80 yr. old man who is doing a 300-mile bike ride for his birthday or the 11-yr old who is climbing 14 14ers in 14 days to raise money for a friend's medical bills). Eric and I finished off the morning with lunch at Sherpa's (my second favorite restaurant in Boulder after Wahoo's Fish Tacos).

Verny posing with the giant ball of string in the Book-end Cafe on Pearl St.

Whew, that was a lot of good friend time!



No comments:

Post a Comment