Thursday, April 10, 2008

The best part of my day.

My morning commute to work. This is not necessarily because I love going to work, but more a product of the manner in which I get there. Every morning I role my trusty stead, Tigger, out of the garage and begin 20 minutes of awesomeness. It's awesome even when it is raining. Not lying.
For the first two miles of my ride, I pass along the banks of the Willamette River. A fast moving, pleasant sounding gurgle accompanying me along the way. The bike path weaves through patches of moss covered trees, soccer fields and finally exits out onto the road only to plunge immediately into Avery Park. The jaunt through Avery is marked by several speed bumps on the road that make it possible to race the cars and win some of the time (unless you get a Ford F150 that comes along taking the bumps full on). Just through Avery Park is Oregon State University where I work, but since I work on the NW edge and live on the SE edge, I get to play dodge-student, weaving in-and-out of the dazed faces on the way to class. I frequently launch into the grass, hop curbs, and buzz backpacks to avoid them. And the stoic presence of academia (stone edifices, sweeping lawns, and the smell of books/coffee/outdoors) oddly comforts me and seems to keep the knowledge of political, economic, and social snafoo that is going on in the world at bay. I wish I could bottle up my morning commute in pill form and take it any time I needed a thrill pill.
Hope you have a part of your day that makes the whole thing worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment