Tuesday, March 10, 2009

On track.



Running that is.  I hit the track this early evening during a break in the lab.  It is sooo nice to finally have a little daylight savings.  Living near the Mason-Dixon line all my life, I never really noticed what a difference it makes.  Now, the evening light stretches until nearly 7:00!  Though you wouldn't have known it today for all the cloud cover.

Back on track... my first real speed workout of the season (I have been doing distance-y speed with Meghan).  The goal was to run something resembling 5K pace for a few 800s, with very little rest in between.  And I was doing it alone (sad), which made it harder.  I was so proud of myself though for even attempting this workout.  I spent most of the day psyching myself up and then almost psyching myself out.  In the end... not so bad.  Quite good actually.  I managed a convincing 5:40 mile pace for all and even managed to pick it up a little on the last one.  I could have suffered through another at the end, but decided to end on a high note.  Often enough, I leave the track devastated.  I think I am going to reward it with a beer and a burrito during my next break in the lab (it is a long one tonight). 

I also have some props to give.  To Dave and his commitment to "killer" bread.  You might recall that I got a chance to meet Dave at the Portland Trout Triathlon (that I hope to race again summer 2009) last summer:



Anywho,  I was shopping at the Southtown Co-op (Boulder people, don't be jealous that I have a co-op and you don't... you have a Sunflower Market) last night and saw this sign on the bread rack:

"Dave's Killer Breads has temporarily discontinued the Dave's Killer Spelt Bread due to their current spelt flour not performing.  They expect another shipment of spelt flour next week.  So as soon as the new spelt four "performs" we will have their spelt bread back on the shelf."

Props, Dave...  I like commitment like that.  Hope the spelt starts performing!

2 comments:

  1. i was just thinking about our long ago evening track workouts and how much "fun" they were!! i miss those.
    sorry you had to go at it by yourself, come here and i'll do it with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those were pretty fantastic... I'll be in town around June 26 if I can stay away that long. I wouldn't put it past me to take off on a long week-end here in a bit.

    ReplyDelete