Thursday, March 12, 2009

Sunshine and day dreams come true.

The sun returned to the central valley just in time for a little cross bike action in the forest.  And to take advantage of the extra daylight and the warm sunshine...  I took a little work break in the early evening to put in some hill repeats on my favorite fire roads.  I was in a hurry to hit the trails so I drove over to Heather's house.  A fur-ball named Mo tried to hitch a ride in my clothes bag.


Sadly, Mo had to stay behind... But I took Dean over to Oak Creek Rd.  and immediately started climbing up to Dimple Hill.  The sun dappled and dazzled through the trees and the air grew slightly warmer (or maybe I grew slightly warmer) as I neared the top.  And, the beauty of the iPhone:  My "cycle-burn" playlist streaming out of the speakers at full blast made a beautiful climbing cadence. 

I posed only a moment at the top (to take a pick and not wanting to waste any light) before jamming over to the Lewisburg saddle.  I muddied myself up on the Saddle loop and as I crossed the road to head back up to Dimple, I took a leg-check.  Everything checked out, so I added one more tempo climb, this one on the single-track of Horse Trail.


About to practice my high-speed descending.

I was almost cooked at this point (good thing I had no more climbing to do).   I began the descent down to Oak Creek, a hairy, one-lane steep gravel road with blind turns and a steep drop off on one side.  I rounded a turn and a group of completely clue-less nature-haters had parked their cars (?!) in the middle of the fire road.  My adrenaline hit peak capacity as I skidded and swerved/careened around the open car doors (adding insult to injury... as if just having the car take up the whole road wasn't enough).  I was so keyed up, I added in a climb and descent down Uproute Trail to make the ride the little longer and drain some of that electric energy before working a tad more.

No comments:

Post a Comment