Thursday, May 29, 2008

Boring....

What is it about May? Now you are wondering, too. The sun still hasn't come out in Oregon. Day begins as if some unknown hand is slowly raising the dimmer on the light switch. But it is not even enough light to see a shadow. I miss my shadow.

It took me 14 hours, two take-offs, two-landings, a metro ride, a bus ride, a car ride, a $10 turkey sandwich, and four conversations with seatmates (I was in the middle seat both times) to get back to Corvallis. I had the middle seat because, frankly, I hate sitting on airplanes and therefore dawdle until just before they close the jetway. The funny thing about Southwest is that they assign you a position in line based on when you get to the airport (obviously, I had one of the last numbers anyway). Watching the people cue up and find out where A18 and A20 are so they can stand between them is pretty entertaining. Good people watching. It reminds me of the playground when we were all in elementary school. Robert Fulghum had it right... "everything we need to know we learned in Kindergarten". Good book, too, if you are looking for something to read.

So, when I finally drag myself on to the airplane I notice that all the people in front of me have precisely positioned themselves in aisle and window seats the entire length of the plane. Even the people who are clearly traveling together have chosen to sit one seat apart. Huh. If I were that girl, I would simply pick out a lucky couple who had chosen not to sit next to each other, ask them if I could sit between them, and watch the hem-and-haw while one or the other moved over because they don't want to be separated. Well, if they didn't want to be separated, then why didn't they sit next to each other in the first place! Lucky for them, I am not that girl (yet, give me a few years to get more crusty). Instead, I look for the person in a middle seat least likely to lean their chair back and then sit behind them. I chose poorly twice.

Now I'm home and working and I did my first track workout since before Wildflower last night (it's usually only three weeks wait, but I did the tempo-Hobit run in Peavy with Bill last week...which BTW more then made up for a lack of track). And while it took me a couple intervals to get the old legs going, I split an 800 at the end of the workout that would make a high school JV girl proud!

And while we are talking shop, add a race to my calendar. Because the Oregon TTT is not enough this week-end, on Sunday I'm racing a trail 8K called Run for the Hills to benefit the Greenbelt Land Trust. It's being put on by one of my Wednesday night speed guys and I think I get to race one of the women who competed in the Olympic Marathon Trials! Sweet....competition.

1 comment:

  1. sounds like you are a busy girl and running well! missed you and your fancy get up at the BB this year, lol. in last year's pics of the start line you can see your blonde afro!

    ReplyDelete