Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Ah, Bend...

I spent last week-end in Bend, OR...  riding my cyclocross bike, running the Dirty Half trail race (race report is next), drinking tea, and hanging out in Tumalo State park where I was camping.

I got to Bend in the early afternoon on Saturday and drove straight to Phil's trailhead...well, not exactly straight.  I stopped in at a bike shop to pick up a lock for my bike (only thing I forgot to bring...amazing!), change into my shorts, and chatted up the peeps in the shop, which I will not mention in order to protect their identity when I lambaste them in a minute.  I was trying to get some FYI on more good places to ride around.  And my roommate and another guy I knew who actual races cyclocross suggested Phil's and to poke my head into said bike shop for trail conditions and other options.

After accomplishing my first two missions, I tried to talk to one of the guys that was working the register while he rang me up.  I asked about Phil's and another trail just North of their as well as stuff around Tumalo.  He told me a bunch of stuff, none of which was encouraging:
1) I wouldn't ride my cross bike out there
2) take at least 5 tubes for all the flats your going to get
3)  there's only one or two trails that's rideable on a cross bike
4) It's so sandy, skinny tires won't be able to make it

and my personal favorite
5) You'll probably be walking a lot.

Ahem.  Let me just say that I should get a T-shirt that reads "Please, take me seriously as a cyclist".  I rode a lot of the trails in and around Phil's and North of there and the cyclocross bike handled them all perfectly, hah!  I didn't get a single flat.  There was hardly any sand, and what there was turned out to be kind of fun to ride through.  And I don't walk my bike. 

Anywho, I had a blast.  The trails were so awesome and even the sketch parts that had rocks, roots, and sharp turns were fun and helped me build my skills!  Below: taking a momentary break to do some candid camera action:



1 comment:

  1. nice! guys in bikeshops are loser! i really want to visit bend...i have heard so many great things about it.
    are you going to watch the olympic track trials in eugene?

    ReplyDelete