Friday, June 27, 2008

All set

Amazing! I am caught up on work, or at least as far as I can get today. I am all packed. Bill and Erika are picking me up from work this afternoon with all my stuff and their stuff stuffed into their car. :-) And then we are off to Sunriver. I'm sure I can find something to do.

Hard to believe that I am doing a half-ironman in 21 hours. Never thought I'ld get to the point where I would say "I'm doing another half this week-end". But this is number 7 or 8, actually it's 8 now that I think about it. And I have never done the same one twice. Almost, but I opted out of the 5430 Half in Boulder one year in favor of taking over management of the run course. I was on the race crew for that race more times than I did it! I'm thinking this one will be one of the better ones. I still have the fitness I had going into Wildflower and judging from my run at Blue Lake (38:07 for 10K-yo) two weeks ago, I'll be able to chase down anybody in front of me after I burn the bike!

The bike course was made for me.... from mile 20-4o is pretty much all uphill, with three significant climbs, the last of which is the steepest and most devastating...~3 miles up to the entrance of the Mt. Bachelor ski Resort @ 6,500 ft. of elevation (the race starts at 4,200). But, then the rest of the bike is all downhill (including a 2.5 mile 6-8 %straightaway with fresh asphalt) and transitions into a flat (two insignificant hills) run where I can fly!

The race starts at 9:00 am. There isn't on-line updating or track-an-athlete for this one, but I will have a timing chip and update the race report as soon as I get back to business (that is, not in the woods...we are camping!)

No comments:

Post a Comment