Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Back in OR

Didn't know I was gone? That's because I was in Boulder for a total of 27 hours and 17 minutes. How do I know? Because I got off the AB bus at 12:33 pm on the corner of Broadway and 16th on Friday and I caught the AB bus at the Table Mesa Park 'n Ride at 3:50 on Saturday. What transpired in between was just awesome.

I was there on a frequent flier ticket for S and M's wedding. When I made the booking, I had already known I was visiting Boulder at the beginning of July, but something in me couldn't wait two more weeks to get back to the People's Republic. Maybe it was the need for sunshine, warmth, friends, mountains, or rare air... or perhaps a major combo of all of them. Whatever the reason, getting off the plane in Denver felt like home, and as the bus crested the open space hill outside Broomfield and the Flatirons came into view, I could barely contain my excitement.

At the bus stop, Andrea and Anne were waiting for me, I knew because I got a call at 12:31 from Andrea asking me where I was (a scant four blocks away). I gave them the biggest hugs ever and we talked nonstop all the way to Wahoo's (my favorite burrito place). Two hours later we were still catching up on the patio, but it was time for me to pick up the wedding present I had ordered (the Lonely Planet Bluelist 2008 and Unlikely Destinations: The Lonely Planet Story), and then get my butt to Vern's and Joe's house where I was staying. I still had to get showered, changed, groomed, and otherwise prettified (an oft impossible feat). Thankfully, V trusted me enough to borrow her car for the drive across town.

The wedding was gorgeous. M was stunning in a full length, fitted gown, and S positively glowed. The Jewish-themed wedding, presided over by a rabbi-lite and held on Boulder Open Space with a backdrop of mountains, blue sky, and 70 smiling faces, was perfect. Their vows were personal, touching, funny, and so perfect. After the ceremony, we took a camp photo and headed for the reception at a local art gallery. I talked and caught up with friends non-stop through drinks, dinner, and dessert while Frank Sinatra, Jack Johnson, and Nora Jones tunes worked their magic. The highlight of the food that evening were the gourmet grilled cheese and the ice cream sandwiches, among many other worthy additions, including Chinese food in take-out fashion and a pez-dispenser bride-and-groom on top of the cake. And the dancing following the wedding was probably the best wedding music I have ever heard (not a macarena or chicken dance in the whole lot). Two wedding crashers certainly thought so.

I danced till 1 am, which made my early morning run up to Bear Peak impossible. So, instead I punished myself on the Mesa Trail. After 1:30 of that, I was ready for some coffee from Vic's, stopping by to see Kathy and Matt at Fleet Feet (best running store in Boulder). With only a few more hours to spare, I met up with A&E for lunch at Illegal Pete's (more burritos... my second favorite in Boulder). Even though I am going to see them in just over a week, it was so good to give them a hug and chat. We even had time to get Glacier (ummm... Death by Chocolate or Mint-Oreo, how is one to decide?) before heading to the bus!

All-in-all.... 27 hours and 17 minutes turned out to be a lot like getting a drop of water when you are dying of thirst. No worries, I'll get my fill in a week or so.

But first, Pac Crest Half-iron triathlon! I'm a little nervous.

No comments:

Post a Comment