Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Kruger's Crossing Cyclocross

I had to escape the milky fog that continues to intermittently engulf Corvallis.  I think it makes my brain dull around the edges.

But in order to slip away on Sunday for Sauvie Island and Kruger's Crossing, I had to work all Saturday (Boo!).  But it was worth it to see the whirly white dissipate as I drove up I-5 and the sun shine on the cyclocross race as I approached the farm.  I was alone on this adventure... week before Thanksgiving, people busily turning their minds towards travel pains — I mean, plans — and turkey-centric gastric offerings. 

The course had a lot of everything.  Three two-packs (a series of two barriers in a row), a run-up (a section soooo steep that I had to get off my bike to carry it up... more on this later), a single barrier with a mud puddle, single track, a barn section, roadkill, a bonfire, and a pumpkin jump.

Me and 8 other ladies lined up at the start of the Women's A.  But don't let that full you... the competition was fierce.  But, finally getting to line up on the front meant I got to see what kind of start I had in me.  It was a doozy!  I was actually leading for most of the straight away (which is probably why I am laughing at myself in this shot, courtesy of Sosovelo):


Don't worry, I picked the wrong line on the first turn, quickly finding myself being passed by a paceline of swans while I wallowed in the mud off to the side like an ugly duckling.  I managed to work my way into the line in around 5th as we approached some cakey mud and the first of the two-packs.  I took the barriers like a champ and then almost face-planted like a chump getting back on my bike for the first time... (geez... it's only been three weeks!)



The field started to separate immediately after that as we wound through some tight corners, encountered deeply grooved mud, and the pumpkin jump (I didn't have the guts to jump it).  On the next long straightaway I started to catch Tina in 4th and stay pretty much on her wheel for the rest of lap... even gaining on her at the run up in which she proved once again that she is a "wattage cottage" (Thank you , John for introducing me to this term) as she power-housed (get it... wattage=power, cottage=house ???) up the run-up.  I, for my part, am able to slip my butt off the back of my bike right into a running stride and then shimmy the bike back under my butt as I approach the top (it's pretty amazing to watch).

I passed Tina right as we started the second lap.  She held my wheel around and around.  At the pumpkin jump, I again demurred like a spoiled show-horse.  I heard the cheers from behind me as Tina plowed through it.  On the next lap, I drove straight for the pumpkins, getting a little air, keeping it mostly upright as I bumbled through the jumbo jumble, getting gourd guts on my bottom bracket...

And then the third lap... we were about to catch third place and I must have gotten a little excited because I accidently inched a little too close to the barrier, clipped my outside pedal, sending the opposing pedal crashing into my shin just as I lifted it to clear the obstacle.  OMG!  I saw stars as I stumbled across the course, using my bike for support, and collapsing into the Team Beer tent.  I thought my foot was going to fall off.  I was yelling that I couldn't feel my toes (so true, but they were probably just cold).

The med attendant evaluated my ankle mobility, pain points, and the appearance of my foot, wrapped it in an ACE bandage and told me it probably wasn't broken or sprained.  Cool... So, I can continue the race?  Well no... Really?

With Team Beer and Team Clif Bar egging me on (I felt I at least had to try because I saw a guy do a whole lap in the single speed race using only his left arm — the other had a dislocated shoulder — by actually dismounting on the chain side), I remounted and finished out the lap, even managing a few one-footed hops, bike and all, over the barriers.

I finished a respectable 9th out of 9.  Not bad for a four-minute "break" in the middle.

No comments:

Post a Comment