Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Oh No!

We always hurt the ones we love the most.

I have five "children" that I love, nurture, buy things for, take cool places, and play with a lot.  They are Dean, Nunu, Orbee, Tigger, and "The Felt".  Unfortunately, all the love in the world can't prevent them from getting hurt sometimes.

So, it was on Sunday night that my heart jumped into my throat and a rock took residence in my gut as "The Felt" became a victim of blunt force trauma.  I'll spare you the gory details and take the fifth to protect the innocent (and the stupid).  But, she was instantly rendered unridable, and I was afraid I would have to put her down.

There is no urgent care for bicycles, and so I had to wait until lunch time on Monday to take her to Full Cycles.  Johnny gave her several minutes of attention, measuring the torque on the frame, examining the fork, the torn bar tapes, the rearranged shifters.  In the end, I dodged a bullet.  The frame is fine (she knows how to take a blow) and all I would need was a new fork.

I promised her the most beautiful fork I could afford and she is currently being fixed up for the upcoming US Grand Prix of Cyclocross in Portland in two weeks.  As soon as I return from my tryptophan festivities, I'm taking her into the forest to celebrate... she deserves it.  And, Johnny at Full gave me a reason to smile again.

No comments:

Post a Comment