Sunday, November 30, 2008

Looking back on a delicious Thanksgiving

Sarah #1: On her way to cook her first Thanksgiving (in the mountains at her boyfriend’s house), she picked me up from the airport. We pretty much went straight to my favorite place to eat, Wahoo’s Fish Tacos, for late lunch.

A&E: I hope they were as happy to see me as I was to see them. We sat down to a great dinner, with wine, and a little Kungfu Panda (awesomely hilarious).

Huffing for Stuffing, a.k.a Running to earn our turkey: A and I went for a run that both of us were sad to see end. Taking on the foothills in NoBo with Izzy-dog in tow (occasionally, it was the other way around), we put in 11.48 miles at a good clip, pretty much talking the entire time.

The Feast: The Lovatos cooked up the bird and the fluff and we all brought our specialties. I called my Mom to wish her a happy holiday and to get a MidWest version of sweet potato pie (all you need to know about it are two ingredients: sugar and butter). We managed not to set the house on fire (though we did try to melt a plastic platter in the oven... oops!)

The leftovers are all lined up and ready to go.

Black Friday: No lines and crowds for us. Though I did stop by Fleet Feet (to get a new pair of Zeals... thank GOD!) and REI. The remnants of the sales at REI were still good... got me a new winter coat to replace the one that only zips up 47% of the time (had to have something warm and breathable and water-proof for all that commuting in the Oregon winter).

My favorite sales pitch of the day.

Snow Day: We started with blueberry oatmeal and blueberry cornbread at the Southside Walnut Cafe (ummm blueberry!)

You just have to go there to eat to understand.

Then, we explored a new trail (Boulder has lakes???) and played around in the snow in the morning.


In typical Boulder fashion, the snow melted away into a clear and sunny afternoon.  A and I, couldn't resist going for another walk.  We went for a semi-night hike up Mt. Sanitas to see the Boulder lights.

The night-view from the top of Sanitas... That long white-line on the right is the Boulder turn-pike.  And that black area it goes through... That's Open Space, or the Denver buffer.  Long-live the People's Republic!

“Cross”-this off your list: I rented a cyclocross bike (adequate, but not as awesome as The Felt) and we all headed down to Beaver Creek to race a cyclocross race in the snow. For the record, racing in snow is nothing like racing in mud... that s&*t is SLIPPERY! It ice-balls up your cleats, and your pedals so that you can’t clip in... and it ices under tread so much that parts of the course saw actual pile-ups. I’ve never seen anybody go down as fast as A did on a practice lap. And I (stupidly) decided that if I couldn’t clip in, it would be better to wear running shoes (who thought that would be a good idea?... I believe it would be the professional Xterra triathlete, Sarah, and the professional triathlete, Sunny). I pretty much did the entire race without pedaling. Even got off the bike to run extensive parts of the course!

I-talian Food: A&E and I convened at the Pasta J’s with Kitty and Ivy for a little pre-flight warming-up (let the Merlot flow) and some carbohydration. This was followed by some gelato (I-talian ice cream... yum!).

Bacio, thankfully, did not try to steal our gelato!

We killed some time before going to the airport, by browsing at the Trident.  It was at this combo coffee shop/book stop that E discovered in the Karma Birthday Book that people with my birthday need to take extra special care of their feet and toes (prone to injury). How many times have I broken my foot? Do I still not have feeling on the tops of those three toes? We don’t need to go into it.

Giving thanks for a Thanksgiving to remember.

2 comments:

  1. great pic from the top of sanitas... I don't think any of mine are recognizable. i.e. they are blurry. very blurry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, I had to hold really still for that one!

    ReplyDelete